Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Peds Update

Well, I had my 2nd shift. This time I was on the transplant floor. I can't say too much about the experience for fear of violating patient confidentiality, but I had a horrible experience. My patient was great, but my nurse sucked. She didn't let me do anything (well, almost), treated me like I was an idiot, and basically told me to sit and "study" until she came to get me. If I wanted to sit and study, I wouldn't be at a hospital for a night shift on a FRIDAY.

I asked her at the beginning of the shift if it was ok that I worked with her and she said yes... If she didn't want me to work with her, just say no. I would rather you turn me down and find a nurse that will let me actually practice my skills. I will be a nurse in approximately 6 months. Do you want me to practice on your child if I never actually touched one in my clinical rotation? NO.

Either way, the patient loved me and cried any time my nurse touched her. Karma is a bitch.

This Friday I will be in CVICU. I am hoping that it will be a better experience. So far, I like cardiovascular and pediatrics... and I'm looking forward to my first ICU experience... plus it will be my birthday.

Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment